Show us your Gingerbread People to win!
You can use this same recipe to create all sorts of gingerbread shapes – it doesn’t just have to be people. Why not get creative and see if you can make your whole family?
- 350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice (you can use cinnamon if you don’t have mixed spice)
- 125g/4½oz butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Strawberry jam
- White cane sugar
- Icing sugar and water
- Pre-heat your oven to 170°C Fan assisted (Gas mark 3), or 180°C Non-fan assisted (Gas mark 4).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Sift the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl and mix them together
- Add the butter (cut into little cubes) and mix until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, and pour the syrup mixture into it. Keep mixing it with a wooden spoon until it becomes a dough. Dust your fingers with a little flour, and then bring the mixture together more with your hands if you need to.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill it in the fridge for 15 mins
- Make sure your work surface is clean and dry. Flour your work surface well, and flour your rolling pin. Roll the dough out and use a cookie cutter to cut out the people shapes. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, make a template out of paper and ask an adult to trace round it with a knife. You could even do your dog or cat if you want to!
- Lay the cut out shapes onto the lined baking tray. Keep re-rolling the dough until there isn’t any left.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, leave them on the baking sheet for 5mins, and then move to a cooling rack until completely cold.
- Add eyes, a mouth and buttons using little blobs of strawberry jam, OR mix your icing sugar with a bit of water to make icing and use this to create the faces and buttons.
- Dust with a little bit of sugar to finish.
*All entries to be received by 30th June 2020. 5 winners will receive a £20 Warrens Bakery gift voucher. Multiple entries allowed. Judges decision is final.